Welcome to First Grade!
First grade is such an important part of your child's education. We know you will be amazed at the amount of growth your child will experience throughout this school year.
As a team, we are so excited to see what the 2017-2018 school year has to hold for this sweet group of students! We feel that it is a great honor to be teaching at the BESt school in the parish. We take the responsibility of spending our day with your babies very seriously. We hope to work with you as a team, to ensure both a positive and successful school year for all of our students! Thank you for this opportunity!
Mrs. Johnston, Mrs. Jones, and Mrs. Baker
Unit 4: Week 5
Essential Question: How do people work with animals?
Comprehension strategy: visualize
Comprehension skill: plot: sequence
Writing Traits: word choice
Grammar: adverbs that tell when
Structural Analysis: compound words
Mechanics: commas in a series
Spelling Words: key, bumpy, puppy, funny, penny, sandy, my, night, wash, would
High Frequency Words: found, hard, near, woman, would, write
Vocabulary - (these will be tested)
clever - to be quick to think of good ideas or solve problems
signal - a gesture, action, or sound that tells you to do something
Please be sure to read with your child each night!
Chapter 9: Measurement
In this chapter we will learn about measurement. I will use length to compare, order, and measure objects. I will also use time to tell time to the hour and half hour.
* Be sure to continue working with your child on subtraction and addition. If you need any practice sheets, we will be happy to send them home! Flash cards are a great tool. Thanks for your help at home as always!
half hour - a unit of time equal to 30 minutes
hour - a unit of time equal to 60 minutes
hour hand - the short hand on an analog clock
longest - a length that is greater than all others in a group
minute - a unit used to measure short amounts of time, in one minute, to minute hand moves from one mark to the next
minute hand - the long hand on an analog clock
shortest - a length that is less than all other in a group
* Before each chapter test, we will complete a reveiw test in class as a whole group. Your child will bring that review test home and this will be a study guide for the actual chapter test. (HINT) The review test is VERY similar to the actual chapter test!!
First Grade News:
* Pizza Day is Friday, March 2nd!
* Honors Program is Thursday at 8:30 for 1st and 2nd grades.
* Be sure to check, sign, and return your childs red folder daily.
* Be sure to sign and return the your childs blue folder each week. These will come home on Tuesday and will contain all graded work and other information concerning your childs behavior.