Welcome to First Grade!
First grade is such an important part of your child's education. We know you will be amazed at the amount of growth your child will experience throughout this school year.
As a team, we are so excited to see what the 2017-2018 school year has to hold for this sweet group of students! We feel that it is a great honor to be teaching at the BESt school in the parish. We take the responsibility of spending our day with your babies very seriously. We hope to work with you as a team, to ensure both a positive and successful school year for all of our students! Thank you for this opportunity!
Mrs. Johnston, Mrs. Jones, and Mrs. Baker
Unit 6: Week 5
Essential Question: Why do we celebrate holidays?
Comprehension strategy: reread
Comprehension skill: author's pupose
Writing Traits: sentence fluency
Grammar: adverbs that tell how
Structural Analysis: r-controlled vowel syllables
Spelling Words: fair, pair, bear, wear, spare, share, three, splash, favorite, surprise
High Frequency Words: favorite, few, gone, surprise, wonder, young
Vocabulary - (these will be tested)
nation - a group of people living in one country
unite - join together
Please be sure to read with your child each night!
For the next two weeks we will review the following topics with Zearn small group lessons & computer based lessons.
* Additions and Subtraction
* Measurement & Data
* Two and Three Dimentional Shapes
* Be sure to continue working with your child over the summer, so that they do not lose any of the information before 2nd grade. If you need any practice sheets, we will be happy to send them home! Flash cards are a great tool. Thanks for your help at home as always!
* Before each chapter test, we will complete a reveiw test in class as a whole group. Your child will bring that review test home and this will be a study guide for the actual chapter test. (HINT) The review test is VERY similar to the actual chapter test!!
First Grade News:
* Last Eagles Store is May 17th and it is also the last day for students (HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!!!) :)
* Be sure to sign and return the your childs blue folder each week. These will come home on Tuesday and will contain all graded work and other information concerning your childs behavior.