Welcome to First Grade!
First grade is such an important part of your child's education. We know you will be amazed at the amount of growth your child will experience throughout this school year.
As a team, we are so excited to see what the 2017-2018 school year has to hold for this sweet group of students! We feel that it is a great honor to be teaching at the BESt school in the parish. We take the responsibility of spending our day with your babies very seriously. We hope to work with you as a team, to ensure both a positive and successful school year for all of our students! Thank you for this opportunity!
Mrs. Johnston, Mrs. Jones, and Mrs. Baker
Unit 3: Week 4
Essential Question: How is life different than it was a long time ago?
Comprehension strategy: reread
Comprehension skill: plot: connections within text: compare and contrast
Writing Traits: ideas
Grammar: is and are
Structural Analysis: CVCe syllables
Mechanics: commas in dates
Spelling Words: hope, nose, note, rope, cute, cube, nice, ledge, ago, people
High Frequency Words: ago, boy, girl, how, old, people
Chapter 6 : Count and Model Numbers
In this chapter we will count from 1 to 120 and use tens and ones to show numbers.
* Be sure to continue working with your child on subtraction and addition. If you need any practice sheets, we will be happy to send them home! Flash cards are a great tool. Thanks for your help at home as always!
digit - a symbol used in a numeration system
hundred - a number which is equal to 10 tens or 100 ones
ones - the value of a digit in the ones position
ten - a group of ten ones
* Before each chapter test, we will complete a reveiw test in class as a whole group. Your child will bring that review test home and this will be a study guide for the actual chapter test. (HINT) The review test is VERY similar to the actual chapter test!!
First Grade News:
* Dec. 7th is BES night at Northwood.
* Dec. 12th - Christmas Program after school for the public at 6PM
* Dec. 13th - Christmas Program during school at 8:30
* Dec. 19th - Christmas Party!! 1-2:15 (parents are welcome!)
* Dec. 20th - Polar Express Day!!!
* CHRISTMAS BREAK!!!! Dec. 21 - Jan. 5!! Enjoy your family and friends!!
* Be sure to check, sign, and return your childs red folder daily.
* Be sure to sign and return the your childs blue folder each week. These will come home on Tuesday and will contain all graded work and other information concerning your childs behavior.